The Long Walk Across the Red Sea

by Laura on May 9, 2014

international move

Matt and I told each other several weeks ago, “It’ll be a miracle if we can get on that plane in six weeks.” An international move with a family of five is no small thing. Neither is moving an office and handing over the leadership-reins to a new manager. But, friends, we are five days out from boarding that plane and I’d say we’ve lived a bit of a miracle this last month.

We got into the International Christian school we wanted, after a truckload of paperwork was scanned and sent.

We found, hired, and trained a new VP of Operations to manage The Exodus Road home office from Colorado.

We secured a new office space in downtown Colorado Springs and organized the transition of our staff and systems.

We rented our current house to a precious family; we sold our van. We walked through several fundraising events and trips.

We’ve visited with our parents and clapped at recitals and bought new swimsuits. We’ve made goodwill runs and then more goodwill runs. We’ve packed boxes and ordered vitamins and cleaned out the garage and listed things on Craigslist.

And tomorrow, the cat is going to some dear friends for his new home, and armed with class cookies and teacher gifts, the kids went to their last day of school just this morning.

photocatAnd I seriously can’t believe it– the details that have come together in the last few weeks are nothing short of a miracle. It’s been a bit of a Red Sea experience that I’ve gotten front row seats to watch unfold.

But if I were honest, too, I’d say that the presence of miracles hasn’t meant the absence of hard work, emotional battles or mountains of stress. Because in the same breath we speak of the miraculous this past month, we’re living the struggle.

God parted the Red Sea, but the Israelites still had to walk the miles across it, after all. In the middle of the night. Dragging crying babies and stubborn cows. Bumping shoulders with 2 million or more other scared and tired former slaves. Wondering if the angry Egyptians would be on their heels or if those walls of water would come crashing down in the next five minutes– while they were still very much vulnerable.

That hike couldn’t have been a cake walk.

And I find some comfort in the thought of those Israelites, trudging over dry land in the middle of the sea. One foot in front of the other. Witness to the miracle unfolding each minute but at the same moment exhausted with the literal walking-out of it.

We leave for Asia in five days, and there’s still a lot of ground to cover between now and then. And while I don’t expect to reach the other side relaxed and rested, I do expect the walls of water to keep holding with each step I trudge forward.

Maybe both the parting and the walking are equal miracles.

******

Pray for us these last days? We’re both tender and tired. Movers get here at 8 am tomorrow morning. Pray especially for the hearts of our kids, friends and family. And thank you for being on this journey with us. We are grateful.

Wendy Willard May 9, 2014 at 10:10 am

Praying for you during this transition and long walk :)

Erin Cook May 9, 2014 at 10:24 am

Praying with you. Please, please know that while you’re doing the literal walking out of this miracle, others are helping to hold up your arms and are going with you.

Wish we could’ve had that cup of coffee, but maybe I’ll have to come see ya’ll over there :)

Colleen Connell Mitchell May 9, 2014 at 10:28 am

Oh. oh. oh. Laura Parker, I love you. This has been life this month too as we coordinate our first full scale medical mission. Praying you through to the other side of the literal and figurative sea.

Lindsey May 9, 2014 at 10:53 am

I am right there with you-we are leaving in 2 weeks to move to Laos with our company. It is all crazy. CRAZY! Everytime I think I have my to-do list whittled down I add 10 more things to it. And we only have a 9 month old so I am not having to deal with nearly the amount of stuff as you are with several school age kids. But I think my 15 hr flight might be worse than yours… :) Praying for ya’ll!

Lisa McKay May 9, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Lindsey… happy packing. I’m guessing you’re moving to Vientiane. You’ll arrive about a week after we get back (we live there). I have a 9 month old and a 2 year 9 month old. Give me a call when you get settled. My mobile is 02056947372.

Lindsey May 11, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Lisa- we are actually moving to Pakse. My husband has a coffee company so down south is apparently the place to be. I’m sure we will be making several trips to the capitol the next few months and I would love to try and meet up someday…playmate maybe? :) I will definitely give you a call. Best of luck with your move back as well!!

Lauren Pinkston May 12, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Hi, Lindsey! I moved to Vientiane about 7 weeks ago with a 9 month old myself, so I feel your stress! Are you working with Bolaven Coffee Shop by any chance? We met the owners a couple of years ago in Pakse and they are wonderful people. If you have any questions re: the move/what to pack/navigating the flight and jet lag, get in touch! I’m no expert, but I’m here with you in the learning! (lmpinkston@gmail.com; 02028266507)

Lindsey May 12, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Thanks Ladies-so appreciate it. Lauren, we do know the Bolaven Coffee Shop but not working with them. I’ll email you cause I have questions. So many questions. :)

Lisa McKay May 12, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Aha!! I see Lauren’s already messaged you. Great. I’ll keep my ears open for other families in Pakse too and put you in touch if I come across any. Happy travels.

Lauren Pinkston May 12, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Lisa – does this mean you will be here next week for sure? I’m so excited to meet your boys and hug your neck and sit at your feet. Safe travels!!

Lisa McKay May 12, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Fingers crossed, yes!! Arrive late Saturday May 25th. Let’s see if we can get together the following week?

Marla Taviano May 9, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I know this exhausting, miraculous walk of which you speak. Praying for you, friend. TOTALLY SERIOUS about visiting y’all this winter! xoxoxo

pastordt May 9, 2014 at 11:20 pm

You, my dear, are the BOMB. Congratulations on all these logistics – totally mind-boggling. How can we continue to pray for you as you cross the sea and set up house on the other end? Housing? Schools? Rest?

Lisa McKay May 9, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Hang in there. At this rate the flight will seem like a mini-vacation. Sort of :). Happy last-couple-of-days-countdown. Thrilled for you about the school.

Lauren Pinkston May 12, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Excited to welcome you back to this part of the world! Lifting you up this week for sure.

Courtney Orrange May 12, 2014 at 6:01 pm

praying for you dear. For your beloved children and for your family as a whole entity. Praying for each of you as you transition, that you will be able to build new roads, finding comfort in what you know from before, but not being slaves to repeating the past. You can do parts of this journey the same as before and parts of it differently, both in ways that are beautiful. Praying for each of your hearts.

Amy May 14, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Love all your writing but especially this one….I appreciate how even though your story is unique to you, you have a way of writing where I can relate it to my personal experience right now. Obviously Our situations are stressful for different reasons but the message is still the same. Thanks for reminding me of the “walking” part of that miracle story. I love you! Xoxo

Tara Porter-Livesay May 14, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Praying for you!

Mattie Kay May 18, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I love your take on the story. Miracles require so much hard work.