One of the problems with fundraising is that you feel like you are always fundraising.
It’s like that neighbor selling her tupperware who seems to always be able to work your food-storage needs into conversations about the barking dogs across the street or the latest deals at “theWalmart.” And, so, forgive me for taking up space here to talk, yet again, about the needs of The Exodus Road in fighting human trafficking. I promise, I won’t “tupperware-stalk” you for a while, but this new project was something I couldn’t pass up.
Because it’s free for you.
And could give our team in the field the fuel they need to rescue girls, boys, and women– maybe even a few of the precious souls my husband met during his recent investigative trip to Asia.
And it could mean the actual freedom of a modern day slave.
So consider this project a win-win-win.
The Idea: A company called Pure Charity has connected with over 1000 popular stores. Since these stores participate in corporate giving and since they each want the customer to have more of a voice in where the company’s charitiable gifts go, they have committed that a portion of all funds spent at their online stores can go to the giving project of the customer’s choice. Again, consider it a win-win-win.
Say What?! How’s that Work? You create an account with Pure Charity with a debit/credit card. Then, you select a project you’d like to fund (pick me! pick me!). Then, each time you use that card at places like Walmart, Target, the Gap, etc., a portion of your purchase goes directly to your giving account with Pure Charity to fund your chosen project. How awesome and simple and effective is that? Here is the project we are raising funds for with The Exodus Road right now (And to read about why covert camera equipment is so essential to fighting human trafficking, go here):
1. Sign up for a Pure Charity account. (“Follow” me – Laura Abels Parker- then scroll down to “Get Started” to make your own account. Following one another compounds our giving. So the more you follow people, the more you and your group are giving. This is one excuse you have for shamelessly asking people to follow you.) If you’re on Facebook, you can sign in through that (which is great for sharing in the future), or you can sign up the old-fashioned way.
2. Install the browser plugin. This causes a cute little icon to pop up when you’re shopping online at participating vendors, and with a simple *click*, a percentage of your purchase will be routed into your personal giving account with Pure Charity. And when I say participating vendors, ya’ll, I’m talking about over 1000 stores like:
Target. Gap. Best Buy. Groupon. Priceline. Sam’s Club. Apple. Sephora. Petsmart. Walmart. Lowe’s. Forever 21.
3. Register your main credit/debit card with Pure Charity. This is so brilliant, because every time you use that card at a participating vendor IN STORE, a percentage is automatically zipped over to your personal giving account. You have to do absolutely nothing at all. (Not every online vendor has an in-store partnership, so when in doubt, online shopping will always build up your personal giving account.)
4. Now, browse the projects. You can fund AIDS education or building a school in Haiti (with Jen Hatmaker) or providing clean water to Africa or even, yes, you can fund anti-trafficking efforts with The Exodus Road.You can help buy a covert camera for us to use in evidence-gathering, raids and rescues, and prosecutions.
5. Support your favorite project. (You can change the amount you support…it starts with $5 increments…by clicking the dollar amount and changing it.) These are time specific projects with a set amount of money. If that project doesn’t fund by the finish date, Pure Charity refunds the money back into your giving account.
6. Share it with friends! There’s a strong social connection to this, where you can share buttons and widgets with your friends and followers, to generate interest in a cause you’re passionate about. Whether it’s The Exodus Road (pretty please?) or not, this is a simple way to practically harness your money and spending for GOOD. If you have a blog yourself and want to encourage your friends to connect with The Exodus Road via Pure Charity, you can install this widget for your sidebar:
The code is here:
<iframe src=’https://www.purecharity.com/covert-camera-for-trafficking-investigators/widget?style=compact&aff=66egp&utm_source=66egp&utm_medium=widget&utm_campaign=covert-camera-for-trafficking-investigators’, height=’455′, width=’285′, frameborder=’0′, scrolling=’no’></iframe>
Did you know that in the next two months, Americans will dole out roughly 40% of our entire annual spending? If ever there was a time to capitalize on capitalism, it is surely now.
So, will you give me five minutes? Maybe ten? If you are a reader here, I am personally asking for you to take the time to go create a Pure Charity account this week.
I We only have 90 days to fully fund our project over there, and I would sure love to give an undercover camera to our guys in the field and a girl her freedom for Christmas.
Be sure to socially share this post, as well, to help spread the word about Pure Charity, and as always, thanks for being a part of this road with me, with us.